Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kendra's seminar at Queen's GAP

I was invited to give a talk as part of the Queen's School of Geography, Archaeology, and Paleoecology Seminar Series at Queen's at the end of January (http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/gap/). As the name implies, this School, and its seminar series, is pretty diverse. My seminar was part of the Environmental Change cluster - I think this cluster includes people from all three disciplines in the School title. I have met some of the people in this cluster during the past 6 months, but certainly not all of them, and haven't really interacted with any of them very much. Certainly there are not any limnologists in the School (well, maybe my postdoc office mate would consider herself one?), but there might be some landscape ecologists in the cluster. Anyway, before the talk, there were sandwiches, cookies, and tea/coffee for everyone. What a lovely tradition! Unfortunately, I was busy getting set up for my talk, so I didn't get a chance to really speak informally with anyone before my talk. Here's the flyer they posted around the School:


My talk, titled "Increasing understanding of environmental change: Quantifying multi-scaled relationships between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems" was in the Elmwood Building, next door to the building my office is in. It was well-attended and I think well-received by the mixture of students and staff who attended. I had a lot of interesting questions after the talk and I am looking forward to interacting with people from this cluster for the next 6 months.

Special thanks to Dr. Paula Reimer for sponsoring me (getting me the seminar invitation 
and introducing me before my talk).

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. I've been thinking that you science-y types might start changing climate change to climate destabilization. I think that is way more accurate and descriptive.

    What say you?

    ReplyDelete